Spotlight 2/2022: Learning from our role model
Our attitude has an effect on our behaviour. It is good if we allow it to be inspired by the example of Jesus Christ, says District Apostle Michael Ehrich of Germany.
In Philippians 2: 5 it says: “Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus.” Experience teaches us that sometimes one and the same act can be based on different attitudes. For example, Cain and Abel brought their offerings to God. Abel’s offering pleased God, but Cain’s attitude towards offering did not please God (Genesis 4: 3 et seq.). The brothers’ different temperament was responsible for this.
Jesus addressed certain issues concerning conduct and various attitudes using well-known and simple stories. He wanted the people to understand how important it is to look into their own hearts.
- In the parable of the Pharisee and the tax collector, the Lord showed that God grants grace to the one who approaches Him with humility, and not to the one who boasts about his own works (Luke 18: 9–14).
- The parable of the sower shows us that it takes a God-fearing heart to understand the word of God and accept it (Luke 8: 15).
- The parable of the unforgiving servant makes clear that one can only receive grace if one is also merciful to one’s neighbour (Matthew 18: 21–35).
There are many other examples that could be cited.
Let’s go to our motto for 2022. “Together in Christ” means to be aware of the fellowship we have with the Lord, and to harmonise our own inner disposition with His. The best way to achieve this is to take Christ as our model. And through the rebirth out of water and Spirit we have the conditions required for this:
Here are some of the behaviours we can learn from our role model Jesus Christ:
- the Lord did not turn a blind eye to the distress and poverty of human beings. Compassion for those in need must be found in us as well.
- Jesus Christ turned to the people out of love. Many came to Him and asked Him for help. He told no one: “I don’t have any time for you.” Let us pray for others, make time for them, and give them practical help. This is how we can show love for God and our neighbour.
- The Son of God was humble. He did not mind bowing down in front of His disciples (John 13: 1 et seq.). Let us be humble before the Lord and not elevate ourselves above others. Let us be willing to serve and sacrifice.
District Apostle, motto, Together in Christ