Changes in the circle of the Apostles: (2/2020)
There were only a few retirements and ordinations of Apostles in the second half of 2020. On account of travel restrictions, the District Apostles carried these out by mandate of the Chief Apostle. Currently, 348 Apostles are active worldwide.
A total of 250,500 ministers were active around the globe on 31 December 2020 in diaconal or priestly service. Together with the Apostles they look after 57,800 congregations worldwide. Currently there are 325 Apostles, 7 District Apostle Helpers, 15 District Apostles, and the Chief Apostle.
Two Apostles were ordained by District Apostle Mark Woll on Sunday, 20 December 2020. These are the hitherto Bishop Jonathan Karl Sturm (1976), who was ordained for Western Canada and District Evangelist Arnaud Martig (1971) for Central and Eastern Canada. Apostle Martig was also given the additional responsibility of Lead Apostle for the Republic of the Congo, the Central African Republic, Rwanda, and Chad.
District Apostle John Kriel placed Apostle Lionel Meyer (1955) into retirement on Sunday, 20 September 2020. Lionel Meyer had been active as an Apostle in South Africa for ten years. His retirement was carried out by the District Apostle at Barberton congregation in South Africa.
On Sunday, 20 December 2020, District Apostle Mark Woll retired District Apostle Helper John Sobottka (1956). The District Apostle Helper had been active in Asia, Africa, and Canada for more than 17 years. Chief Apostle Jean-Luc Schneider would have liked to come himself, but was not able to travel to Canada because of the ongoing pandemic.
Leave of absence/resignation
In October, Chief Apostle Jean-Luc Schneider granted Apostle Baker Chakwana of Zambia a one-year leave of absence for personal reasons.
Apostle Gabin Mwemena (DR Congo South-East) resigned from his ministry at the end of November for personal reasons. The international Church leader accepted his resignation.
District Apostle Areas
The New Apostolic Church is structured into fifteen District Apostle Areas around the world. These are led by the following District Apostles:
- Michael David Deppner (1961) – Democratic Republic of Congo West
- Michael Ehrich (1959) – Southern Germany
- Joseph Opemba Ekhuya (1969) – East Africa
- Edy Isnugroho (1963) – South East Asia
- Leonard Richard Kolb (1956) – USA
- Rüdiger Krause (1960) – Northern and Eastern Germany
- John Leslie Kriel (1956) – Southern Africa
- Enrique Eduardo Minio (1960) – South America
- Wolfgang Nadolny (1956) – Berlin-Brandenburg
- Peter Schulte (1963) – Western Pacific
- Kububa Soko (1969) – Zambia, Malawi, Zimbabwe
- Rainer Storck (1958) – Western Germany
- Tshitshi Tshisekedi (1972) – Democratic Republic of Congo South-East
- Mark Woll (1959) – Canada
- Jürg Zbinden (1958) – Switzerland
Some of the District Apostles are supported by District Apostle Helpers, who generally work in specific countries:
- David Devaraj (1959) – India
- Frank Stephan Dzur (1959) – Canada
- John William Fendt (1957) – USA
- Arnold Ndakondwa Mhango (1957) – Malawi
- João Uanuque Misselo (1965) – Angola
- Mandla Patrick Mkhwanazi (1963) – Southern Africa
- Robert Nsamba (1962) – Zambia