Spotlight 9/2022: Stick together in oneness!
One body, many members: District Apostle Joseph Ekhuya from Kenya refers to this biblical comparison when he reflects on our motto for 2022. And he has some interesting tips on how we can stick together and thrive.
When we think of the church of Christ as the body of Christ, of which the believers are individual members and of which Christ is the head, the 2022 motto “Together in Christ” becomes very relevant.
In his epistle to the Romans, Paul described us as members of the one body of Christ, and went on to say that not all members have the same function (Romans 12: 4–5). Again, in his letter to the Corinthians, he repeated the same statement by saying that members of this body are many, but the body is one, so also is Christ (1 Corinthians 12: 12).
Naturally, the same blood runs through the whole body and gives life to the different organs of the body. In the same way, the Bible says that by one Spirit, all are baptised into the body—whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free (1 Corinthians 12: 13–14). The dead in Christ are also members of this body.
The challenge for 2022 is therefore how we as the body of Christ can stick together as desired by our head Jesus Christ. Some suggestions are worth considering:
- changing our mindset. Instead of placing more emphasis on hierarchy (the greatest and the least among us), we should place more emphasis on the roles of each member of the body of Christ.
- engaging the gifts that the Holy Spirit has provided us with for the benefit of the whole body. We need each member of the body, and no one is useless.
- if one member suffers, we all get involved to comfort and help as much as we can; and if one member rejoices, we rejoice too.
- we try as much as possible to overcome our language and cultural barriers by using interpreters and go-betweens and by remaining open to new knowledge.
- we fight our battles against sin together with Christ using His methods.
- whenever it is possible, we meet in fellowship and break bread together. This strengthens our internal bond as well as our bond with our head Jesus Christ.
If we manage to stick together until the return of Jesus Christ, we shall be received by Him. For this is the will of God: that we are one already today. Our oneness will be perfected in God’s kingdom when we shall be with Christ and see Him face to face.
We shall speak one language, sing one song, and receive a body that conforms to the glorious body of Christ.